QLD Contract changed without consent?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hales43

9 October 2021
Good morning, I have just come across this forum and wanted to see if anyone might have any knowledge on what my situation would fall under in legal terms?

I accepted a position of permanent part time, still have my letter of offer in my emails reflecting this and showing I was to be rostered 10 hours per week along with the entitlements permanent employees receive.

I purely took this job over another due to the shifts being suited to my needs and therefore turned down another position which was actually closer to my home.

A staff member of seniority, lent over myself when I was completing training on the staff computers and clicked accept to something that had popped up on the screen, this was done to the other 2 new employee's as well. I found out later she had consented to me being changed to casual.

I did not provide this consent nor was I given any information about the change, I feel it was of inequality to do that to me as I would have liked to read over a new contract and make the decision for myself and what suits my needs plus an opportunity to ask questions as well. I didn't get that opportunity whatsoever.

There was also a comment made by this person of " Don't worry you'll go permanent in a month anyway" is that then a misrepresentation? False promises? I have not "gone permanent in a month"

Any advice ? I can only find that it would be classed as a unilateral change of contract but I am unsure what to do next. I can also see that when this change was consented to it would be classed as a termination of the permanent contract and its been over 21 days now so I don't think I would be eligible to go through FWC for an unfair dismissal.

I have contacted the internal dispute resolution team but without any assistance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
If you are casual, your pay rate should have gone up 25%.

In these days, there is not a lot of benefit from being permanent.

If you do not need your job and have alternatives, then document your concern and raise the issue again.