NSW Consent Without Admission of AVO Via Email?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jonathan B

2 November 2016
Friend was served with ADVO. He can't attend court and wanted to know if he can still consent without admission by email to the court or whether he needs to show in person or his lawyer.

I know he can consent to the AVO by email just not sure on the consent without admission?

Reactions: Timnuts

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Why can't he attend court?
It's not as if it's optional, or a matter of his personal convenience.

Jonathan B

2 November 2016
He has an important job on. What you are saying is incorrect as the police already told him he can file a statement by email agreeing to the conditions of the AVO.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
He has an important job on.
Who doesn't?
What you are saying is incorrect as the police already told him he can file a statement by email agreeing to the conditions of the AVO.
What makes you think the police are correct?

Jonathan B

2 November 2016
The police issued the AVO. They confirmed what I said; that is the SenCon who issued it confirmed what I stated. He won't show. Will send down the result after the event. Court officer also confirmed he can send an email on the day.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
The police issued the avo.
I think you'll find that the court issued the (interim?) AVO. And the court will issued the substantive order as well.
You might find that police are the applicant (assuming that the PINOP isn't).

Jonathan B

2 November 2016
I think you'll find that the court issued the (interim?) AVO. And the court will issued the substantive order as well.
You might find that police are the applicant (assuming that the PINOP isn't).

Yes they were the applicant.

He did not attend court and his statement was sent to court prior (without admission) and was accepted. No problem.