NSW Consent Orders in Place - Child Refusing to Go with Father?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jaybird

20 November 2016
My partner and his ex have finalised their divorce and after a very messy process, ended up in family court and now have Consent Orders in place. However, it's been several months since the consent orders have been in effect and each organised visitation has become harder and harder for my partner.

I have some questions about what his legal rights are in this situation but first some background on what is happening.

His children are a girl, 4 and boy, 9. And the consent order allows him to have them a weekend every fortnight and for 2 hours on one week night on the alternate week he doesn't have them. Next year, he will have them for the whole night (sleepover) on that midweek visit. But the boy has refused to go with my partner the last 3 weeks. And the girl will often follow suit. Sometimes they refuse to go with him on the Friday night but he will receive a message on the Saturday morning saying to come pick them up at midday.

The last weekend, he was supposed to have them, only his daughter went with him. The son refused to come out of the house to see him and the message was passed on from the mother and her partner that he hates him and wanted my partner to apologise for all the damage he has done to the family since the divorce.

Then this past Friday, when he was supposed to have them again, he received a message to say as it was his daughter's birthday that day, his ex was having celebrations for her and he wouldn't be able to collect the children until midday the following day. When he turned up, he found they were in the middle of the daughter's birthday party and of course the children refused to go with him and a fuss was made by his ex's partner in front of everyone.

In addition to all the custody of children issues, we are both receiving messages of abuse from his ex. Her partner comes out of the house to abuse my partner verbally upon pick up of the children. My partner takes his father with him to ensure nothing happens or at least have a witness to it but he has been threatened physically and her partner refers to the children as his own and they call him daddy, with their mother's encouragement.

In these circumstances where the court proceedings have been finalised and a court order is in place, how does my partner ensure the order is enforced? He is desperate to see his children and it breaks his heart, as well as mine and his family's, that this is happening to him. Financially, he could afford to go back to court, although he would have to borrow money again to do so. But what would it achieve?

His ex is not specifically denying access to the children, although we assume she is coaching them to say things to my partner and to refuse to go. He can't force them to go if they don't want to. And they have been told by her that my partner has stolen money from his son, their family and that our relationship broke up their family - even though I didn't start seeing him until 6 months after he had moved out, and she already had a partner and one month later announced her engagement to him (before the divorce was even filed) and that she was pregnant.

So with this information in their head, or more specifically his son's head, they wants nothing to do with him or me. He has no phone contact with them even though his mother bought him a phone last Christmas. The son refuses to take his calls although when he is in the custody of my partner the boy is asked by his mother to have his phone on until 6pm (the consent order specifies no contact after that time). This causes stress for the boy as she calls him to grill him on who is there and if there have been any disputes while in his fathers care.

My partner is that nervous about it and concerned for his son that I no longer see them on those visits and don't have any contact with them anymore (he stays with his mother when he has them).

My other question is, how do we deal with the messages of abuse. I receive text messages from her and Facebook messages from fake accounts. He gets messages via text and email. She posts things on Facebook about him that are false and defaming his character and mutual friends have alerted us to this. Have spoken to the police but the messages aren't coming often enough to warrant as harrassment. Is there any legal action that can be taken given these circumstances?

Also if he doesn't see them, even though he has been trying, how does that affect his child support payments?

We are so frustrated by this whole process and feel he has so little rights when it comes to his children. It's very upsetting and I worry for him as he takes it very hard each time something happens and having to go through it once a week is putting strain on him and that affects his mental health and relationships with me and his family.

Apologies for the excess of detail but wanted to provide a full picture of what was happening. His ex has been so difficult throughout the whole process and I don't foresee how things will ever be any easier. My partner is close to giving up hope of seeing his children regularly. He is supposed to have them in the upcoming summer holidays but who knows what will happen. Life is hard to plan these days as things are so fraught and uncertain for him.

Any help on how to proceed from here would be much appreciated.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Ok, so this is not a nice situation.

Look the kids must see dad - that is what the courts orders say.The kid doesn't choose to go to school right? He just goes. Now that is all good and well in theory.

Is it worth going back to court? Not until there is a month or so where there is no contact. Then filing for contraventions is a possibility but even then the outcomes won't be great.

My thoughts - he should contact relationships Australia and ask for their assistance in organising mediation so he can discuss his concerns with the mother. It won't work - but it is worth a try.
Sadly, the legal system has no way of making a nasty vindictive person nice and co-operative.

Look - I hate saying this but I think you're better off seeking psychological help to find avenues to work with the boy to counteract the crap he is being told rather than legal advice. In short, Be manipulative, but be good at it.

Story time - I used to take the kids straight to the shop for an iceblock when I picked them up...and I'd tell them of all the great stuff I've got planned. When I dropped them off, I'd ask them what was the best bit and what do they wanna do next time. I was being manipulative - I was making my time fun and re-inforcing that with the kids....

My ex was telling the kids lies too... "It is daddy's fault that we don't have any money to do things" was a favourite - so I showed the 7-year-old child support statements - she could read enough to understand that I was paying about $400 a fortnight to mum... Now $400 in a kid's head is huge, right. I also explained to the kids about divorce in a very diplomatic way. I accepted that I did lots wrong and I was sorry and that I hoped mummy was happy blah blah...

So rather than just wearing her BS, I went on the attack - diplomatically. So one parent is being fair and reasonable the other is spiteful. I think you might want to think about getting your partner to have a few hard conversations with the boy.

Jaybird

20 November 2016
Thanks for your reply Sammy! My partner has tried on several occasions to talk to his son about things and while he was in his care the boy came around to him and there were minimal issues. Unfortunately as he is with his mother 60% of the time she is in his ear contradicting what he knows is true about his father.

I do like your suggestion for reinforcing the positive aspects of their time together and will pass that on to him. He does plan lots of things to do with them and gives up all his usual plans to be with them 100% when he has them so that they can see the effort he is putting in. But reinforcing that at the beginning and end of his time with them is great so it is fresh in their mind when they leave him and she grills them on what they did.

Our problem now is how to get that time back with them. Do you have any suggestions for how to get emotional support for the boy approved by the mother as I'm assuming my partner can't just schedule time with a child psychologist without her consent. His son was seeing a counsellor for a while but it was initially under the guise of him being abused by his father (which is far from the truth and another of the lies that was being bandied about). I'm not sure where that is at now as the mother had it booked in for him.

And I will look into the Relationships Australia support also had seen it mentioned in several other threads also and thought that might be an avenue to investigate.

Thank you again!

sammy01

27 September 2015
The psychologist was for you guys. Don't try and get the kid to a psychologist - the ex will argue. You guys need psychological advice on how to 1- deal with the stress and 2- how to approach the kid.

Going to mediation is just a chance for him to ask her to stop being stupid. Unfortunately, she is probably to stupid to understand, so it will be a waste of time...

So 9 year old - does he have access to internet? My stepdaughter Facetimes her dad daily. Look even if there is some sort of messaging service - you said the boy had a phone. OK so sending him a message on Thursday saying that dad has some great stuff planned for the weekend and looking forward to seeing him. And a message every once in a while to let him know that dad is thinking of him...

Look it is bloody tough and no guarantees but it is worth the effort. Initially my kids saw me as the bad guy - but slowly, slowly I managed to invite them to look at things from my perspective. Never say anything bad about mum - I reckon when you tell a kid something bad about a parent, the person you're hurting most is the kid and when they see that they will resent it.... Just gotta work on getting the kid to see it.