QLD Conflict of Interest

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Alister B

11 July 2017
I now have a situation where my lawyer has received a proposal from a firm retained by a person with whom
I am trying to resolve a problem with.
I should first say that myself and this person are siblings and we reside in the same regional town with a population of around 90000 where also the two local law firms practice.
I was given the name of a local law firm which now happens to be my siblings firm to approach to instigate proceedings to try to resolve the problem and my wife and I made a 10.00am appointment to see one of their lawyers, which we did and left leaving all the documentation and were told they would be in touch.
I received a phone call at 4.00pm the same day from the lawyer apologising that they could not act for me as my sibling was already a client of theirs with an on going unrelated case and said that if my sibling did approach them they could also not act for them either.
I have not yet contacted my lawyer as the proposal is only from yesterday late pm but I would like any feed back on how I will put this to my lawyer.
Many Thanks