VIC Used Wife's Concession Myki by Mistake - Consequences?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

MuraliAryan

14 July 2018
Hi,

Last week, it was a busy week where I have carried multiple myki's where one belongs to my wife who is has a Concession card. Somehow my pass on the other normal card expired on the same day and somehow I used my wife's one that day and got caught with the Myki officials.

I was not able to produce concession documents as this belonged to my wife. I have told the same as well but they have collected all my details and told me that they will send a mail and asked to respond back to that mail without any miss.

At the end of the conversation, he asked if I was carrying any health care card. Not sure why he has asked about it?

Will there be any issue to my medicare card due to this issue? This is the first time that this kind of incident has happened to me. Not sure of any other legal obligations... or if they will inform this incident to all different departments?

Looks like I have to pay 242$ for this issue.

Kindly help with the details and possibilities of what will happen next?

Regards

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Why were you even carrying your wife's card?

MuraliAryan

14 July 2018
It was by mistake as there is no difference between the normal myki to concession because both are in the same color. Not sure of the implications now... Can you anyone help here?

Any help or information that can be useful is much appreciated!

Clancy

6 April 2016
I don't think the fine is contingent on it being a deliberate act versus a mistake that is your mistake? Pay the fine and be more careful not to make that mistake in future.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Pay the fine in full and on time, and this will all be over.