NSW compulsive liars? or consciously tell an untruth?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

tuca

24 March 2018
I got in to a car accident a couple of weeks back. I got hit by 4WD. The person acknowledge the responsibility and asked me to make a quote, but then he changed his mind and made a claim when i send him the quote.
The car insurance company since it's their client they come to this conclusion that it's my fault.
I was in my car ready to leave the car parking, looked around waited for a car pass behind me
when it had pass by and stopped about 10 cars far away from me i reverse,
and came 100% way out of my spot, i changed gear and started to turning stationary when i saw the same car that had pass me reversing very fast.
i didn't had time to get back or reverse as my car was point to the car that was next to me, he turned his car to get in to my space hitting my left front door and his left back side, he came out from his car and admitted he didn't see me and he only saw the empty space (my car is a ute)
Now his insurance will not pay me saying was my fault ( was 50%50) and i should wait for him, i said: wait for what if he didn't wait me to get out? i had no answer , the only answer was "it was your fault he was on the midle line he is right".
what should i do?

Clancy

6 April 2016
1) First of all, the other persons insurance company is going to try to support their customer, that's normal.
2) You should be allowing your insurance company to handle it.
3) Did you take pictures of the accident?

The mere fact that the rear end of his vehicle was damaged, should be enough evidence that he was in the wrong. Otherwise get then to explain how else the side of your vehicle can hit the rear end of his??

tuca

24 March 2018
Thanks Clancy for your help.
I have pictures but was taking after the accident because i knew the guy he comes visit his mum on dimention ward every day and he gave me his word he would pay for it and he didn't want make a claim in his insurance i also have a text message from him saying that, I have two witness that saw all.
i logde a claim but my insurance (NRMA) ask me only for the witness phone number.
Thanks again

Clancy

6 April 2016
Thanks Clancy for your help.
I have pictures but was taking after the accident because i knew the guy he comes visit his mum on dimention ward every day and he gave me his word he would pay for it and he didn't want make a claim in his insurance i also have a text message from him saying that, I have two witness that saw all.
i logde a claim but my insurance (NRMA) ask me only for the witness phone number.
Thanks again

I don't understand what you are doing? If you have an accident you need to inform your insurance company as soon as possible. That does not mean you need to lodge a claim by the way, you can tell your insurance the guy said he will pay privately and NRMA will say ok keep us posted. then if the guy doesn't pay, you proceed with the claim.

If you do want to lodge a claim you need to have the other drivers license number and vehicle registration number. But phone number? No person is obliged to give you their phone number after an accident, only drivers license. If they refuse to provide their drivers license then you call the police.

Ok you got a text message admission from him, that is pure gold, you got him by the balls with that!

tuca

24 March 2018
1) First of all, the other persons insurance company is going to try to support their customer, that's normal.
2) You should be allowing your insurance company to handle it.
3) Did you take pictures of the accident?

The mere fact that the rear end of his vehicle was damaged, should be enough evidence that he was in the wrong. Otherwise get then to explain how else the side of your vehicle can hit the rear end of his??

tuca

24 March 2018
I learned my lesson don't trust anyone :( not even at work
i will keep you informed if you don't mind thanks so so much

Clancy

6 April 2016
I learned my lesson don't trust anyone :( not even at work
i will keep you informed if you don't mind thanks so so much

Nothing wrong with trusting people.... how is it that old saying goes? 'hope for the best but be prepared for the worst' What i mean by that is, you can trust people, but don't let that stop you taking simple steps to make your position more secure.

But anyway, you have that text message confession, definitely show that to your insurance company. Even if they don't help, with that text message, (depending on the exact wording) you should win if it went to court.