Compliance with the Will?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jermy

30 March 2015
Hello all,

I like to know if I put a request in my will such as sending emails to certain recipients upon my death and there are no other people around (from my family or friends) that can follow up on the Will, what process or procedures that ensure that my request in the Will has been performed? I like to mention, the emails are not or do not contain illegal or criminal content.

Thanks.

AdValorem

20 August 2015
Perth
Hi Jermy

The will sets out your instructions about the distribution of your assets after you die. Your executors are not obliged to send emails, so even if there was someone 'to follow up on the Will' that person cannot compel the executors to send those emails.
Instructions like this are usually left in a letter of wishes and not in the will, one of the reasons being that the will becomes a public document after probate.

Regards
Val

Jermy

30 March 2015
Hi Jermy

The will sets out your instructions about the distribution of your assets after you die. Your executors are not obliged to send emails, so even if there was someone 'to follow up on the Will' that person cannot compel the executors to send those emails.
Instructions like this are usually left in a letter of wishes and not in the will, one of the reasons being that the will becomes a public document after probate.

Regards
Val

Thanks, what a bumber! ok what about if I distribute some funds to a lawyer and based on that the lawyer should send the emails! would that work?
I will ask a lawyer....