NSW Complaints about Our Drug Dealing Neighbours

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

P Byrne

12 November 2015
We sent emails of complaint about our drug dealing neighbours in our housing complex. They distributed them to one person undergoing eviction proceedings but the emails involved the whole block. Are they liable?

Therese

11 October 2015
Hi P Bryne,

Can I just clarify who did you send the emails of complaint to, and was it that person that you think could be liable?

P Byrne

12 November 2015
Thank you for replying. I'm sorry that was rushed - the housing provider, community housing gave our emails to the dealers as part of the case in the tribunal against one of the dealers. They claimed it was an oversight, but our lives are intolerable now.

Therese

11 October 2015
That's ok.

Well if they claimed it was an 'oversight' they are admitting responsibility. You could have a case for a breach of privacy as they disclosed your personal information.

I would suggest getting in contact with the Australian Privacy Commissioner at the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner. However, if the community housing is not considered a business then you may wish to contact the NSW Privacy Commissioner.

A legal aid centre or a lawyer would also be able to provide advice on you situation.