VIC Compensation for Pericarditis diagnosis from Pfizer vaccination?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

m2316

7 November 2014
On 5/11/21 I received by second dose of Pfizer. Two days later I was hit with major chest pains and difficulty breathing and went straight to emergency. The Doctors there did a blood test and Electrocardiogram test and everything came back ok. They then sent me home even though I still felt the same. I then continued to see my GP to run more tests and nothing came up. He referred me to get an Echocardiogram Test and the local hospital rejected it, but said nothing to the doctor. We only discovered they rejected it when the doctor called to ask what was going on, weeks later. Then my wife out of frustration, found another hospital that would do the scan. My doctor wrote them a referral and this week I had the Echocardiogram Test, and the Cardiologist at the clinic reviewed it and told me I had Pericarditis. Do I have a claim for damages above and beyond the minimum $1,000 the government is offering through their COVID-19 vaccine claims scheme? Is there a way to seek damages outside of the governments scheme, would it be worth it and would I have a good case?

Thank you,
Mervyn Stilinovic

GC.

26 October 2015
Do I have a claim for damages above and beyond the minimum $1,000 the government is offering through their COVID-19 vaccine claims scheme?
Have you read that website?
It requires that you have been hospitalised overnight in order to claim (with limited exceptions).
I also covers your "costs" and asks for evidence of medical expenses and lost wages. Do these total more than $1000 for you?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I'm always way of these schemes because they often get people to waive all other rights. I notice you will have to a sign a 'deed of settlement' to receive compensation - this is a red flag.

If you required the vaccination for work you may be covered by WorkCover.

Reactions: m2316

m2316

7 November 2014
Have you read that website?
It requires that you have been hospitalised overnight in order to claim (with limited exceptions).
I also covers your "costs" and asks for evidence of medical expenses and lost wages. Do these total more than $1000 for you?
Yes, I believe I would fit the criteria, however it would only be limited to $1,000 as it's not compensation as much as them just re-embursing medical costs and maybe loss of income.

m2316

7 November 2014
I'm always way of these schemes because they often get people to waive all other rights. I notice you will have to a sign a 'deed of settlement' to receive compensation - this is a red flag.

If you required the vaccination for work you may be covered by WorkCover.
I thought that might be the case and the government would use this to prevent major payouts by handing out peanuts. I fell under the construction worker mandate, I will speak to WorkCover and see what they say. Thank you