TAS Common Assault - recovering costs

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

LJK14

11 April 2018
Hello,

I have been falsley accused of 2 counts of common assault. I have only had my plea hearing and pled not guilty. My lawyer is costing me approx $3,500 and other costs I'm yet to pay. Not to mention the embarrassment and wellbeing issues this situation has caused me, I am wondering if I am able to recover these costs after the hearing?

Located in Tasmania

Adam1user

5 January 2018
hi,
Best thing is discuss with your lawyer as your lawyer will give the best advice as he/she is aware of your situation more than anyone here.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
Hello,

I have been falsley accused of 2 counts of common assault. I have only had my plea hearing and pled not guilty. My lawyer is costing me approx $3,500 and other costs I'm yet to pay. Not to mention the embarrassment and wellbeing issues this situation has caused me, I am wondering if I am able to recover these costs after the hearing?

Located in Tasmania
You may be able to.

If successful ie found not guilty and discharged your lawyer would have to make an application for costs.