NSW Co-Operatives: Is Director obliged to give a member access to use original bank statements, for non Co-Op related purposes?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Co-Ops Rool.

21 April 2021
I am Treasurer of a small Co-Operative. 20 members. Very open and transparent.
A member is requesting original bank statements and Term Deposit details of the Co-Operative, for possible use in a Resident visa application for his partner/joint member.
All information contained in the bank statements are provided to members in the bi-monthly Financial statements of the Co-Operative.
Is there any risk in providing original bank statements to a member? Is there any obligation to provide them? Is it a Board decision?

Thanks for any clarification.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
What relevance are they to the PR applicant?

Co-Ops Rool.

21 April 2021
Thanks TimW,

I fail to see the relevance to the PR applicant, however, he feels it might be useful in amassing documentation to cover all bases.

In principle, I am reluctant to supply these documents - however, the question has been posed by another shareholder, asking how the Co-Operative's position could be compromised by supplying them?

With thanks.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
To my mind, if the PR applicant is a member in their own right
(that is, not a member's spouse/ partner/ prospective spouse etc) and
can demonstrate a genuine need in terms of their application (such as providing evidence of assets),
then maybe. But not as of right, and not without the express consent of the Board/ Committee.

Maybe the Co-Op board/ committee can meet and consider a motion allowing the sharing of the information.
That way any decision can be collective, even if the reasoning for voting yes or no remains personal to each member.