WA Clutch pack failing after buying car privately

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Excelsior

29 May 2018
we bought a second hand car on Thursday and had it booked in for a service on Tuesday. We have been told the clutch pack is failing a new one is needed at a cost of $4,500. During the test drive I asked if there had been issues with the clutch or engine and was told that they have had difficulties in getting the car in reverse but that their mechanic had fixed it. It appears he hadn’t. We cannot drive the car without getting this fixed. What can I do about this?

Thank you

Clancy

6 April 2016
Nothing, based on the information you have given.

What was said in the for sale add? Any text message communication?

People can tell you all kinds of things verbally and the exact value of it legally is zero, if you cannot prove it.

You could try taking the car to a different mechanic.

Excelsior

29 May 2018
Nothing, based on the information you have given.

What was said in the for sale add? Any text message communication?

People can tell you all kinds of things verbally and the exact value of it legally is zero, if you cannot prove it.

You could try taking the car to a different mechanic.

Thank you. We have been told by their previous mechanic that there was an issue with the car being stuck in reverse. The gearbox was serviced but the underlying problem not fixed. The point is there was a known problem they didn’t disclose

Clancy

6 April 2016
Thank you. We have been told by their previous mechanic that there was an issue with the car being stuck in reverse. The gearbox was serviced but the underlying problem not fixed. The point is there was a known problem they didn’t disclose

I dont think a failure to disclose is enough? unless it directly contradicts a claim that was made? For example, i sell you my car, but i make no statement in my add about the condition of the car mechanically, and the above happens. Although i have not disclosed, i have also not contradicted any claim i have made about the condition of the car. If i say verbally this and that, well prove it?

I am not sure about the involvement of the mechanic - you may have a witness??