civill proceedings lead to criminal?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tom19979

7 February 2019
hey guys, had a quick question,

got in trouble with cops Jan 2nd in Penrith
complaint by victim filed jan 2nd about harassment, and creating fake identity to harass same person. (lets say parts were true and they had the emails etc, i dont think they went to trace down ip address etc)
call from cops 2-3 weeks later stating to stay away from her, not to contact her via any method, and AVPO was made and extremely lucky that charges were not being laid. The cops did not interview me or charge me.

2 months later she might suing for civil court compensation etc which i believe needs to be proven on account of probability not beyond a reasonable doubt. My question is if i do settle and if I admit to the allegations, can the proceedings be used in criminal law and thus cops be charging me based on admission. How likely would they do this few months after saying they will not be charging me. Is it a common trick? I mean getting IP addresses etc will require lot of effort, would they be waiting for an admission instead?

i do regret and feel remorse for this :(

Thomas L

3 April 2019
Sydney, NSW
Cross that bridge when or if you receive a statement of claim.

Unfortunately, the other party has the right to sue you for about anything they want.

Unlike Criminal Cases, Civil cases have a lower burden of proof. Still, the other party would need to prove that what they alleged you did is backed up by evidence.

I would be asking what compensation they think they are entitled to. Nothing you wrote above suggest they had financial losses... if they try to sue you for personal injury, it's an uphill battle for them.

Don't lose any sleep over it and never do it again.