NSW citizenship certificate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Hrsid

9 September 2020
the city of sydney website states:

"The certificate is legal proof of your Australian citizenship. You can frame the certificate later but it must not be laminated (as it will no longer be a legal document)."

If someone has mistakenly done lamination to preserve the certificate, what are the implications? is certificate no longer accepted as evidence od citizenship? there must be digital record of it as well with the department. what should the person ideally do in this case?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
The website also says: If you lose it or it gets damaged and you need it replaced, contact the Department of of Home Affairs on 13 18 80.

I've seen anecdotal evidence (i.e. possibly completely unreliable) that lamination does not disqualify the document. But, to be safe, get a replacement.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The website also says: If you lose it or it gets damaged and you need it replaced, contact the Department of of Home Affairs on 13 18 80.

I've seen anecdotal evidence (i.e. possibly completely unreliable) that lamination does not disqualify the document. But, to be safe, get a replacement.
I'm guessing here, but perhaps a certificate contains security features (perhaps a microdot or similar),
which could be used to verify its authenticity.
Perhaps such features might be rendered inoperative by being laminated.