QLD Children in care can DOCS adopt them out

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Flat Earth

9 June 2017
my daughter has 2 children 5 an 2 docs took the 2yr old within 12hrs of him being born for what reason im unsure aparently my daughter was a risk to them i dont c how when they had the 5yr old for a little while then she got her back anyway they took the baby then within the week they went and took the 5yr old my daughter ended up in jail a few months after that then got out she has now recently ended up inside again and docs have now said that they are adopting the children and even taking mum and dads names off the birth certificate can they do this and what can we do to stop it

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi,
I fear there is far more to this story and with that it would be very difficult to comment. My understanding is that DOCS wouldn't do anything as extreme as changing names and adopting the children out unless the children were at significant risk. It sounds like the removal of names is to keep the children as far from the parents as possible. Have you looked into applying to care for the children? My guess is that if DOCS have determined the children need to be nowhere near your daughter, your relationship with her would impact that anyway.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Like Lance, I feel there is a big part of this story that isn't being told here, so my suggestion is seek legal advice and do everything DOCS is telling you to do.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Unfortunately there are people in society who are capable of producing children but should not be parents. This makes it hard on other family members such as grandparents.

If your circumstances allow it, maybe you should see if you can adopt the children.

Robot12

23 May 2017
As hard as it sounds it appears you might need to decide between your daughter or the grandchildren. DOCS move fast only when significant causes for concern are present. I fear either you don't know the full story or you have only written part of the story.