Child support legislation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

meegee

13 August 2020
I currently pay my ex child support without issue, however I also pay for everything else....school camps, sport fees and uniforms, medical insurance, dental, haircuts, prescriptions, book packs and resource fees for state school..... EVERYTHING!! except usual very minor day to day stuff whilst kids are in each parent's care.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions how this gets managed going forward as its not something for discussion apparently in family court???

I'm talking ongoing / shared expenses for BIG ticket items..not like school shoes or clothes....e.g. camp was $300+ and OP contributed nothing. I understand its not for me to dictate what CS is spent on - but I am struggling to pay for everything that is needed.

I just don't think it's fair that I pay child support (300+/month)and have to pay for everything else too when we are on a 50 50 arrangement currently. It's just not sustainable for me. The wage disparity is not huge but enough that OP receives the $300, which I have no issues with paying - it comes out my wages anyway.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
It can be somewhat complicated. Do you know what your care and cost percentages are?

Reactions: meegee

sammy01

27 September 2015
CSA determine what you pay. If you choose to pay anything beyond that, well that is your choice. Bad choice in my opinion.

BUT - You have 50/50 care? court ordered? OR by agreement and no orders?
If court ordered then stop paying.

If by agreement, then maybe paying a little bit more is good strategy. Better to see the $ go to your kids, not a solicitor's kids. You have met your obligation according to CSA rules. End of the story. If you choose to pay beyond that, it is at your discretion and by your rules.

So small problem. 50/50 care. So does it really seem fair that the other parent has to pay for everything - clothes etc because you pay child support? Well there is a good argument to say YES. But by my way of thinking.... If you take the kids out to buy school shoes, sports gear or what ever and they see you doing that, well good strategy. But I would not be dictated to by the ex to pay more

Atticus

6 February 2019
I currently pay my ex child support without issue, however I also pay for everything else....school camps, sport fees and uniforms, medical insurance, dental, haircuts, prescriptions, book packs and resource fees for state school..... EVERYTHING!!
Only pay your assessed amount. Stop paying 100% of everything
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions how this gets managed going forward as its not something for discussion apparently in family court???
YOU mange it by only paying your assessed amount....

If you have payed for everything for long enough, & he claims you agreed to it, CSA can accept that you should continue paying some of those things