QLD Child support fraud

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Almost giving up

1 December 2020
My ex is earning over $200k per annum - he’s being paid as a contractor through an employment agency into a business he made up. He quit his job earning $185k a year to do this and defraud me of any financial help for his son.
How can he get away with this? A change of assessment is so intrusive and he will just lie on his tax return so I get nothing and have to pay everything for our child while on a normal wage - it’s so not fair

sammy01

27 September 2015
Are you saying he claims to have gone from earning $185K to $0?

I'd do a change of assessment. He would have to explain why his income had changed so dramatically. Sorry, if you think a change of assesement is intrusive but how esle can CSA accurately assess income?

Reactions: Almost giving up

Almost giving up

1 December 2020
I’m going to do it - yes he thinks its perfectly fine to lie about his income and hide it - used the dog move that covid has affected him - which it hasn’t at all - I have proof of what he is earning and how he’s hiding it

Atticus

6 February 2019
Whats his care percentage... Less or greater than 35%?

Nothing fraudulent about going from a PAYE to sub contractor, or structuring your affairs in a way to minimise tax as long as it's lawful..

Still worth you looking into a reason 8 reassessment (Changed occupation Industry or working pattern) ... Changing to a sub contractor type arrangement would be accepted as a reason to reasses ... Maybe not if he has set up a business & is taking a wage though, & not at all if he has reduced or changed working conditions for health reasons or to care for a family member.

Almost giving up

1 December 2020
It’s less than 35% he is working as a contractor for a recruitment agency being paid $150 an hour but Imstead of being paid payg he went limited so he could purposely not pay child support - he quit a good job so he could do this - all not to pay child support for a child he wanted

Atticus

6 February 2019
So if he was an employee earning $185K, he's (presumably) gone from paying a huge amount of CS to how much now?

He may not satisfy the criteria set out for a reason 8 reassessment if he has set up a new company.... If he was an employee & changed to sub contract work for the same employer then he would almost certainly meet at least one of the 3 criteria that must be met to make a new determination.

Almost giving up

1 December 2020
He’s paying nothing now! I’ve had to take my child out of private school 😢 he’s not set up a new company he’s using a abn from when he had a company 15 years ago - is working as a project manager earning over $200k a year but is paying it into a company. I just can’t understand how they can be so cruel to use their kids as pawns and have their kids miss out, but he just doesn’t care about him

Almost giving up

1 December 2020
They assessed him as not having to pay anything as it looks like I’m earning double what he earns, when in reality he is earning more than double my salary. I’m not a grabber- I work full time and provide for my child. I’m just disappointed that he gets away with not contributing anything