VIC Child support changing collection method

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nugget76

21 February 2018
My ex husband owes a substantial amount in child support. We have recently made peace (hurrah it is possible!).

I would like to change the collection method of child support from CSA to a private agreement. We’ve worked out between us about the arrears (about $5k) which currently sits with CSA.

What happens to that amount when we change the collection method? Does that debt stay with CSA?

sammy01

27 September 2015
I come it from the other side... I over-paid because she didn't do her taxes. When they caught up with her I was given options.
1. Stop paying until the debt is cleared
2. Nominate to wipe the debt...

so I should imagine that if you wanted you could tell CSA that you accept the debt as cleared OR you could ask them to pursue it.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Re changing the collection method: it's up to the receiving parent. CSA won't accept any instruction from the payer. You can alert them, but it will be up to the other parent to formally agree.

Re the debt: When CSA is the nominated collector, the child support is a debt due and payable to the Commonwealth. I don't have any direct experience in this, but they may continue to chase payment.