VIC Child Support Binding Agreement

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

cinnamon

12 October 2020
I would like to know what is the best possible way to go about a Child Support Binding Agreement. I am thinking that on the agreement the CSA basic/ periodic calculations can apply and then the added non-periodic payments which includes private medical aid, private school fees (50/50), co-curricular can be shared. Thoughts on the pros and cons of this agreement? Better to work through CSA or courts (since orders are likely to be breached)

Atticus

6 February 2019
I would like to know what is the best possible way to go about a Child Support Binding Agreement
The ONLY way you can get a BCSA is for both parents to obtain independent legal advice on the pros & cons of the proposed agreement, sign it & apply to have it registered with the CSA .... Generally a payer would need to have rocks in their head to enter into one.
Better to work through CSA or courts
Court is not an option for CS..... A court will only deal with CS if it's not able to be dealt with by CSA as a normal CS assessment for some reason

Reactions: cinnamon

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yup the con... He needs to agree. Based on your other posts this is gonna be a pretty big hurdle.
Ok, my advice is blunt. CSA have a formula to work this stuff out, just like the tax office... You don't see people saying to the tax man, gee, Australia has been great to me this year, I'd like to give the government more money.... Ok, sure BUT these are his kids... Look you can't get him to agree to pick them up at the right time. How are you gonna get him to agree to hand over extra $ And how much is it gonna cost you in lawyers to go back to court because he didn't pay $

• Haha

cinnamon

12 October 2020
Yup the con... He needs to agree. Based on your other posts this is gonna be a pretty big hurdle.
Ok, my advice is blunt. CSA have a formula to work this stuff out, just like the tax office... You don't see people saying to the tax man, gee, Australia has been great to me this year, I'd like to give the government more money.... Ok, sure BUT these are his kids... Look you can't get him to agree to pick them up at the right time. How are you gonna get him to agree to hand over extra $ And how much is it gonna cost you in lawyers to go back to court because he didn't pay $
ok got it. No go. haha

Immismum

11 May 2020
It is possible to get CSA to assess private school fees on top of regular child support payments. You would need proof that both of you intended for the kids to be educated privately, such as both of you being on the enrolment form, or both of you putting the kids on the waiting list when they were born. You also need to factor in if private school fees are affordable now you have split, after all running two households is much more expensive than running one.

cinnamon

12 October 2020
It is possible to get CSA to assess private school fees on top of regular child support payments. You would need proof that both of you intended for the kids to be educated privately, such as both of you being on the enrolment form, or both of you putting the kids on the waiting list when they were born. You also need to factor in if private school fees are affordable now you have split, after all running two households is much more expensive than running one.
Thanks we have already gone through this process, the only thing that was not considered at the time of the change of application was the before-and-after school fees and private medical policy. The rest has been included.