WA Child Support - Backpay for the Past 17 Years?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mac

14 February 2015
Hi,
I have recently been contacted by a past girlfriend and says she has a 17 year old daughter and she is mine.
She wants me to take a DNA test to prove this (after I asked). Do I have to pay back 17 years of child support payments?

If she turns 18 before this is instigated do I have to pay back all these payments?

Thanks in advance

CathL

19 April 2014
Australia
Hi mac,
Have a read of these other LawAnswers Family Law Forum threads that relate to your question on back paying child support and DNA testing for paternity:

Why is she asking you now? Why not 17 years ago? The first step would be to determine paternity, which can take some time. Then, my understanding is that your child support obligation would be until the daughter turns 18, rather than back paying for previous 17 years, but obviously personalised legal advice from a family lawyer would serve you best in this situation.

mac

14 February 2015
Thanks CathL
I was unsure if I had to pay for the whole 17 years or not.
She tells me she want the daughter to know me but messaged others saying she wants what is owed to her.
I could be all for meeting the daughter if she is mine but due to the circumstances 18 years ago I don't want to be paying all that money back as I have 2 kids to look after as it is.
Thanks again