VIC Child Support Agency Says I Have a Debt - Any Legal Recourse?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

john phillips

8 June 2016
From May 2014 through toDecemberr 2014, I did not pay any child support mainly due to financial constraints. Prior to this I had a private agreement and payed even when i was out of work out of my savings. May of that year my ex decided to go through the agency and as i never read any letters from csa as for many years i was on a private agreement didnt find out till much later.

Long story short: over this 8 month period I earned $37000 gross during this period but they have done an estimate on my previous year's earnings of $120000 and arose at a debt of $14000 which now has escalated to over $18000 as I can't redress this. I currently pay two parties $240 and $100 a week. I have been informed as I didn't notify them in a timely manner I have to pay this debt. The initial debt is almost 50% of my gross earnings fir this period.

Is there any legal recourse to me to have this debt reflect my actual earnings? CSA (Child Support Agency) don't seem to care.

MartyK

4 June 2016
You have already objected to the decision of the CSP? You can take it to the AAT (Administrative Appeals Tribunal). If still unsuccessful, next step is Court.