QLD Child Safety Harassment or Usual Protocols?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

anne1988

24 August 2015
I have four children and am 7 months pregnant with my fifth. After a domestic violence incident and my partner was arrested, the department of child safety was called. They did not see nor hear the argument. Drug tests were conducted on myself and my partner and a minor amount of amphetamine was found in my system however a few drug tests were done since and came back clear. My partner is not allowed to reside or to stay with me at any place. Given that I have had some minor involvement with these people in the past, their concerns for the children was never considered serious.

Child safety have told me their concerns are :
1) the domestic violence order will be breached
2) I will be incapable of looking after the children single parenting
3) I will involve myself with drugs (despite clear tests).

I always co-operate and have said I will always choose my children over my partner or anything else. I have been complying to the full extent however, I feel these people are extremely invasive. inconsiderate of the stress it imposes on my pregnancy. They have said they are considering taking the children and they wish to know my whereabouts all the time, even if I'm just 'out shopping". I am a good parent and this is tearing me apart. I don't know what to do anymore.

I have a meeting with them next week where they want to impose 'more' for me to do (I am unsure of what they mean yet) but if I don't comply, they've said they may take the kids. I was the victim in the domestic violence dispute. I had a broken collarbone.

These people are now involved in my life and want to take the kids after this. Please help me.

Lawyering mum

26 September 2015
Sunshine Coast
Hi
Child safety has become involved due to the Domestic violence and drugs. Child safety will continue to remain involved until they are satisfied that the children are safe and are not going to be exposed to domestic violence and drugs. Without knowing more, but speaking generally, the meetings they have usually will involve wanting to know more about the family, what strategies are put in place to deal with the issues at hand and assess the family situation and what supports are required and/or will assist.
I would suggest that you go and see a lawyer who will be able to advise you once you have been able to give them all the background information.

anne1988

24 August 2015
Yes but for a further 6 months, the dv order strictly states limited contact, and my partner will not breach it due to fear of jail, and the drug tests come back clear all the time. I am unsure what else I can do to satisfy them plus do they have legal grounds to take the kids ?

Lawyering mum

26 September 2015
Sunshine Coast
Child safety can remove children from environments to ensure their safety (such as exposure to drugs and domestic violence).

Without knowing your entire situation I cannot give you any specific advice.

Your domestic violence situation sounds like it may be the reason they are remaining involved.

Even with you saying that your partner will not breach the DV order that is unlikely to be enough for child safety and they will probably continue to be involved. Unfortunately, we all see situations where the partners promise not to breach the DV but it continues to happen, and this can be highlighted by recent events.

I would suggest you seek some advice from a lawyer who can properly assess the situation, consider all the relevant factors and can possibly attend your meetings with child safety.