NSW Child relocation/Going for custody

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nicole77

16 June 2018
My partner and I have been together for 6 and a half years. He has a 7 and a half year old daughter, we have had every second weekend with her for years now, her mother isn't a very easy person to speak with and constantly takes their daughter away on our weekends or just plain refuses because she has "plans" for that weekend. She has just informed us she is wanting to move to Queensland from where we are now (NSW) and obviously we do not want her to move far away as their daughter is enrolled in a good school with good friends, has a lot of family down here and is happy spending time with us when we do have her. I love their daughter as if she were my own. We have spoken to the mother plenty of times about having their daughter more often and wanting to enrol her in out of school activities but we are constantly refused. She has at one point offered us full custody as she has 2 other children and one on the way and when we agree she goes back on it. So in short she isn't a very easy to deal with person, she despises me and makes that very clear. We want to know what our chances will be in either stopping her from moving out of state or even getting full custody if she does move? Her and her partner do not work and she has no reason other than "because I want too" as her reasoning for moving. I could go on and on about the lies and deceit of this woman but I try not too talk about about the woman.

sammy01

27 September 2015
1. Get dad to write back to her... Dear XXXX,
You have communicated that you intend to move to QLD. Please be advised I do not give permission for you to move with (child's name).
2. Call Relationships Australia and organise mediation. It won't work, but you need to try so you can get the certificate that shows mediation has been attempted.
3. Apply to court for more time and for orders so that mum cant continue mucking you around.

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
If you actually have it in writing that she is going to move, stuff mediation. Make an application on an urgent basis and try to bypass mediation and get some interim orders right away. If it's just a "we might do this" thing then go for mediation but, remember, if you start the ball rolling on this she might well just up and leave.

Only you really know the urgency of this.