QLD Child Maintenance Payments Owing - What To Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jayne B

4 December 2014
Hi there. My Ex owes me $17k in child maintenance. He has been paying child support regularly, but not nearly enough and we didn't realise. We have a private agreement (don't advise this now). He has said he can pay back $3k but nothing else.

As our daughter is 18 next year and she needs a car. I have asked if he will put $5k towards that. He has a wife who doesn't work (from England, so visa issues) and earns twice as much as me. I don't want to be nasty, but what can I do? I think agreeing to $5k instead of $17k is generous, but he still won't give me a commitment. I fear he is stalling and weeks will be come months and then I won't be able to make a claim. I just want him to cover half the costs for her car and then I'm prepared to call it even.

Any advice on how to handle this?

S

Sophea

Hi Jayne B,

Do you have an informal agreement? Or a formal binding or limited agreement?

Jayne B

4 December 2014
Yes we have an informal agreement. Its worked okay over the years I'm unsure what to do no. Any advice is appreciated.

S

Sophea

Hi Jayne,

I believe informal arrangements made between a payee and payer to collect child support payments privately are not binding on either party. However you can change this arrangement at any time by requesting Child Support to commence collection of child support payments.

I would contact your local child support agency and explore your options with them: 131 272