WA Child Custody

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

mathewb

26 August 2020
Hi, I have been in a de facto relationship with a Swedish women and we have a 15month old child........we recently moved from Perth to Sweden and within a few weeks decided to separate. I plan on staying!!!!
In Sweden unmarried mothers automatically get 100% custody.
I seen a lawyer today who ask if i had joint custody of the child in Australia and if i had any proof???
I was at the birth, we lived together, i've supported them both.....just a normal relationship.
but my question is "did I have joint custody of the child while we were together in the relationship? No court ordered or anything like that.

mathewb

26 August 2020
Not by any legal definition. You're gonna need to work within the Swedish system, not the Australian one.
This article is worth you reading
It seems Sweeden does support shared parenting.
Thanks Sammy, the Swedish lawyer simply asked if i joint custody in Australia........tomorrow i will see her again I will say "Yes but not any legal definition"

sammy01

27 September 2015
Look if you were living with the mum the whole time since the birth of the child then that is an important distinction. I hope it works out for you.