NSW child abuse question

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

throwaway183

7 October 2021
hi, I'm asking a question related to my experience. I'm not putting up personal info because I'm not sure what I want to do, and I want to be anonymous. I live in NSW, and 1-3 years ago one of my parents assaulted me, and left me with bruises and a black eye, and tried to choke me out until someone else stopped them. I have photo proof of the injury, but unfortunately no proof of it happening. My whole family saw it happening, I am a minor. This happens every few months, but that's probably the worst case. when I was younger (8-10) I was beaten with sticks every few weeks, usually over minor things such as my parent thinking I am not listening to them because I am blocking my ears, while in fact I was just scratching my ear and didn't really understand what was happening. I think i was 7 that time, and I was beaten with the sticks. what should I do? What good does going to court over this actually do me, apart from knowing that piece of s**t is in jail? appreciate any answers.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Hey, look you can talk to a teacher or doctor, or the police.... They're all mandatory notifyers of child abuse. That means they will report it. What happens after that? Look, I can't predict the future, all i can do is offer you my sympathies.

throwaway183

7 October 2021
Hey, look you can talk to a teacher or doctor, or the police.... They're all mandatory notifyers of child abuse. That means they will report it. What happens after that? Look, I can't predict the future, all i can do is offer you my sympathies.
what usually happens though? I don't want this to tear apart my life

sammy01

27 September 2015
how old are you?
Are you still being abused?
Do you have someone you can talk to about it?

What usually happens? Look I really can't answer that question. Police can do interviews and charges can be laid against the accused. If you're in harms way then child protection might put you into foster care. Look I really feel for you. My thinking is that you do something - report it to a teacher. If the perpetrator knows they just might stop out of fear of having to explain themselves to the police.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
A good start might be the Kids Help Line.
You can contact them via phone, email or online chat. (I wouldn't advise using email unless you know for sure that noone else in the household can access it.)

sammy01

27 September 2015
Yeah. Scruff is right. Look, the problem with teachers or doctor's or what ever is they have a legal responsibility to notify the authorities. But something like kids line can give you heaps better advice than you'll get here and you can ask them if before you say anything to check that it is anonymous. So you can get advice without saying too much because you're obviously worried about the implications of making a statement to the police or what ever.

I really feel for you and wish someone here could offer something better to help you.

throwaway183

7 October 2021
how old are you?
Are you still being abused?
Do you have someone you can talk to about it?

What usually happens? Look I really can't answer that question. Police can do interviews and charges can be laid against the accused. If you're in harms way then child protection might put you into foster care. Look I really feel for you. My thinking is that you do something - report it to a teacher. If the perpetrator knows they just might stop out of fear of having to explain themselves to the police.
I don't want to say my age, but I'm in the range of 14-17. I don't really get physically abused anymore, mainly threats, and no I don't have anyone to talk about it with. I don't really want to deal with police, and no way do I want to go to foster care. Thanks anyway though
A good start might be the Kids Help Line.
You can contact them via phone, email or online chat. (I wouldn't advise using email unless you know for sure that noone else in the household can access it.)
thanks, might look into it
Yeah. Scruff is right. Look, the problem with teachers or doctor's or what ever is they have a legal responsibility to notify the authorities. But something like kids line can give you heaps better advice than you'll get here and you can ask them if before you say anything to check that it is anonymous. So you can get advice without saying too much because you're obviously worried about the implications of making a statement to the police or what ever.

I really feel for you and wish someone here could offer something better to help you.
thanks, seems like the least harmful option is really to just tough it out until I'm 18 and get away from it all.