NSW Child Abuse - How to Get Custody of Children?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JMC21

11 July 2017
Good morning,
I am writing to find out what the chances are of my son staying with me full time. He has been staying with his father in Canberra since January 2016 as I had to leave due to Domestic Violence.

Firstly I moved into a woman's refuge in Canberra to escape the situation and didn't want him knowing my whereabouts. After doing this for two months I decided it would be best I move so I would have the support of my sister whilst recovering as I didn't know at the time how long my duration out here would be. I thought it would be best to leave my son where he could stay with his friends at school and remain in some form of a stable environment.

Since being here I have seen a psychiatrist to deal with everything. I work at least 38hrs a week and have a great network of friends/family some with children, some without. I have been living in the same apartment since I have been here, had no issues with bills and or rent.

My son is currently staying with me now and I am meant to be taking him back to his fathers in 2 days, however when I picked him up from Canberra my son made me aware that his father had been hitting him and made him feel scared at times when his father was in a mood. I immediately took my son to police station so that it could be reported as I am worried for him if he goes back to dad's
Just wondering where to go from here? What are the necessary steps I should take to keep my son here with me?

Kind regards

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
What does your son want to do?

Reactions: JMC21

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The best advice is to seek legal help and go through all your details with a lawyer so they can plan out the best steps.

There are a few ways this can be handled (IVO, mediation, direct approach) and you should discuss the pros and cons of each option in some detail with a lawyer before deciding what to do.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
How old is the child?