changing name on mortgage and titles

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

twowrongs

15 February 2016
Hi I was wondering My son is in a broken relationship of 4 years now - he has a child 5 years old - he wants to start the process of taking the ex of mortgage papers and of course the land titles and council and water rates ( He is in South Australia ) which would he do first

1. Go to bank or broker to see if he can refinance
2. go to conveyancer to take name of titles, rates etc

there is no splitting of anything as there is no equity in property they are just both happy to move on - my son has been in this house since the ex walked out only after 4 months of getting a mortgage together - my husband and I are guarantor for our son
hope can get some answers
thanks

twowrongs

15 February 2016
Hi I was wondering My son is in a broken relationship of 4 years now - he has a child 5 years old - he wants to start the process of taking the ex of mortgage papers and of course the land titles and council and water rates ( He is in South Australia ) which would he do first

1. Go to bank or broker to see if he can refinance
2. go to conveyancer to take name of titles, rates etc

there is no splitting of anything as there is no equity in property they are just both happy to move on - my son has been in this house since the ex walked out only after 4 months of getting a mortgage together - my husband and I are guarantor for our son
hope can get some answers
thanks

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I suggest he finds out whether he can refinance it first. Ask a bank/broker about a 'pre-approval'.