NSW Changed Will by De Facto

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Steve Preston

17 July 2017
My Mum passed away 3 years ago and in her will she left her house to her partner then upon his passing it was to be sold and proceeds divided between the 3 grandchildren.Her partner and my sister never got on and he has made a will leaving the house to my wife and I.What recourse would my sister have to enforce the original will when he passes?He was her partner for over 30 years.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Did you mean your mum's 3 children? or 3 grandchildren?

Steve Preston

17 July 2017
Did you mean your mum's 3 children? or 3 grandchildren?
No to clarify,My mums grandchildren. I have a son and my sister has a boy and girl. My sister and I were both left a sum of money in the will and
the house was was dealt with as I have prevoiusly said.I was a bit unhappy that she decided to "skip a generation" when it came to the house
[ I think its fair that children should inherit from parents directly-just wait your turn...fair to all] but I accepted it.
Mums partner [of 30+ years] however never got on/liked my sister as she can be a very ungrateful/nasty person.So he lodged a new will
with Mums solicitors leaving the house to my wife and I when he passes.My sister is unaware of this new will.
any advice / knowledge would be appreciated as to possible outcomes.
regards Steve

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Depends on your mother's will. Was her partner the beneficiary and became the title holder, or was he only give life tenancy?

The wording of your mother's will is important. If her partner only got life tenancy then he can't give full title to you.