QLD Change of Child Support Assessment?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

captcha

1 May 2019
I've been asked to supply child support with my child's payslips as he now has a casual job. Am I allowed to obtain these?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Obtain payslips from the employer?... You are allowed to ask. They may refuse.

You can ask the child for payslips. If the child also refuses then inform CSA...

You may not want to say here how much is being earned, but your topic heading is COA, so assuming it's a reason 4 COA, the child would generally need to be earning or receive a gross income of at least $343.10 per week for the earnings to be considered so significant as to be capable of affecting the assessment.

Source >>> 2.6.10 Reason 4 - Income of the Child | Child Support Guide

captcha

1 May 2019
Thank you.
If they both will not provide me with these, do you know what is the likely outcome?

sammy01

27 September 2015
They could make an assessment based on assumptions. I am not a fan of CSA.... if you are not compliant they could rule with an iron fist...

That said. You are the parent. The kid is under 18. You should be able to obtain a payslip. It is a bit old fashioned but the thinking goes children should obey their parents. As such the kid should give you the payslip...

Atticus

6 February 2019
Don't know... I assume without proof of actual earnings it's going to be very difficult to impossible for CSA to make a COA decision. Unless the child is lodging a tax return, ATO is probably not an option for CSA either.

All you can do is ask them and if they both refuse to supply a payslip, then see what CSA suggests.

captcha

1 May 2019
Thank you for the feedback.
The child is almost 18 and so will want to know why I'm asking for his payslips. I would prefer him not to know why.

Atticus

6 February 2019
Fair enough. I assume then that you are the payer seeking to have a COA to decrease your liability. Either way, the assessment will end when the child turns 18. If it's that close it may well not even be worth the time and effort.

captcha

1 May 2019
Correct Atticus. Can the CSA request the child's bank account statements from the payee and what happens if they refuse to provide these?

Atticus

6 February 2019
Again, I don't know what CSA may advise in that scenario, But if they have no actual figures to go on, then it's difficult to see how a decision could be made.

The Cheese

21 November 2018
I'm pretty sure the CSA could send a notice requiring information (s161 notice) to the child's employer to obtain the info. But given that could cause some problems, like the employer thinking your child has their own case, I'd want to avoid that!