QLD Change of Assessment process

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cameron1977

14 January 2019
interested to know if any one here has gone through this process?

How long did it take?
How did it work?
Did you have to provide each other ALL financial information? or can you just provide information that relates to the case?

my x has changed her income to $0 and isn't looking to work. I want to challenge it, but looking at the form - having to provide my bank transaction history to me ex and personal spending etc. isn't right to me.

I've been told different things by two different advisors on the child support hotline. Very confusing.

Docupedia

7 October 2020
Change of assessment in special circumstances? There's a particular form for that.

The party applying for the change has to nominate the grounds on which they want to have the change made. There are 10 reasons (with Reason 8 having and A and B part). They also have to give full details of income, expenses, assets, and liabilities. The receiving party then completes a Response form. This likewise requires full details of income, expenses, assets, and liabilities.

The asset details, for example, are at the point in time the form is completed (i.e. current bank balance). There is no requirement at that point to provide copies of any documents.

Each form must be signed, and includes a declaration about the information being 'true and correct'.

However, if the outcome is disputed the consideration may go further. This could involve the production and disclosure to the other party of bank statements, records and the like. You'll probably find the Child Support Agency will obtain such statements directly from the bank, the same probably with your ATO information. Under the processes all relevant information must be provided to all parties with redaction of irrelevant, sensitive information (such as Tax File Number).

Cameron1977

14 January 2019
The form asks for all payslips, bank transaction history, super etc. - if the assessment is just based on income - and mine hasn't changed as I'm the payee. She is the one who has changed something (majorly) - shouldn't she be investigated? She doesn't have to share her details with me, just them. I'm not aware of what she or doesn't have anymore. I don't care. She's the one that should be proving she doesn't have the capacity to work or is looking for work.

We've been separated for over 5 years - I am confused as to why she needs to see bank statements/transaction history etc. - I've been working hard over the last few years to save and invest to create a better future for myself and my child. She has been partying and holidaying (even during covid believe it or not) and although I don't care how she is funding or how much money she has in the bank (I doubt little) as it's none of my business, I'm going to be punished for saving and working hard I can tell and I was told as much.

I have no issues sharing with child support - I just don't think it's appropriate she gets to see my personal spending and alike. There is nothing there out of the ordinary, but it's like when you get broken into and someone you don't know or like goes through your personal belongings....

The system seems to cater for those that earn less and do less. It's broken.

appleton

24 November 2019
We went through this process recently, where we were the respondants to an application for reason 8.

We received the application from the other party with their complaint and all of their "supporting" documentation. Personal transactions were blacked out, however not very well.
We spoke with the CSA representative who was conducting the assessment to understand what exactly they required from us as a response, and then we provided documents to address each area of the complaint. For example, child support payments were shown, living expenses/cost of living were shown, costs associated to the child and income was shown.

We deleted any personal information such as addresses on bills, personal bank transactions, and also amount of money in our accounts. Please be aware that what you provide in your application will be shared with the other party.

After submitting the documents we received a call from the assessor advising of the outcome and then two weeks later recieved the evaluation report in the post with CSA recommendations & findings.
Overall the process took about 6 weeks, however it is quicker if you use the online portal for uploading documents.

Cameron1977

14 January 2019
thanks for the feedback. Ok so you don't have to show everything?
For example I don't want to show my shares for example, my pay slip line items, my super.
Who blacked out the information? Says you did when you did?
if you deleted for example the amount of money in the bank accounts - what is the point of providing it? Just to show transaction history or that the bank account exists?
In the response, did you provide only information related to the case or everything? i.e. I don't feel in this instance her or my super relate - so I don't see the point in providing. Nor what her and my house repayments - purely just interested in taxable income AND if she is looking for work as she is the one who changed. If that makes sense...