QLD Chances of Recovery Orders Being Approved for Abusive Father?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jd91

25 November 2016
Hi all,

My partner and I have been together for roughly 6 months. Previously she was in an emotionally and sexually abusive relationship for 5 years and they have a 3-year-old. Since the separation, there has been an interim DVO and we have reported breaches.

I rang them up here on holidays on the 6th November, as my partner has been extremely stressed and has agreed to everything because of the intimidation he makes her feel and the son has signs of anxiety. The father knows the whereabouts and has had contact most nights. There is no formal parenting agreement or order at all, but they have shared 3 nights.

He constantly tried to make the hold choose between parents and my partner is not trying to cut contact with the father but he is constantly, threatening, verbally abusing and manipulating her. There is also an investigation around an incident of sexual assault whilst she was intoxicated.

What chances are there pf recovery order being approved if he applies for one and what are our options?

Jd91

25 November 2016
He constantly harasses her through text message,leaves voicemails, tells the child to give the mother a kiss and that he loves her. I am aware that DV and family law are separate but surely a child shouldn't have to subjected to that kind of rubbish. He constantly lies about childcare bills being paid, doesn't give the child correct medication.

It is extremely hard to witness the heartbreak that it is causing my partner. Everything he does is done out of spite.

sammy01

27 September 2015
You have one side to the story...

So when you say "but they have shared 3 nights," do you mean a week or a fortnight? If it is a week, then I'd suggest the chances of the child being returned to dad are very good. If it is 3 a fortnight, it is still very likely.