NSW Centrelink/careers pension

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Julee

14 April 2019
hi are you eligible for a careers pension if you own multiple properties with a approx value of 2-3 million? None of the properties deliver rental income. I have been trying to locate information on eleibility on the web without success.

sammy01

27 September 2015
go to centrelink and ask. I think you'll find that it isn't means tested.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
A legal forum isn't really the place for a question like this, however I am well aware of the redesigned DHS web site and how pathetic it's new layout and navigation is.

In short, Carer Payments are treated the same as pensions and therefore they are means tested. As such, multiple properties at that value may mean you don't qualify.

Here's some links to get you started.

Carer Payment | Department of Social Services, Australian Government
Income test for pensions - Australian Government Department of Human Services
Real estate assets - Australian Government Department of Human Services
Deeming - Australian Government Department of Human Services

For more information, try Googling "carer payment" (instead of "career pension"), combined with terms like "assets", "eligibility" and so on. There's plenty of information out there - it's just hard to find by navigating through the DHS site itself. You can find everything on Google easy enough - but you need to search for the right thing to begin with. :)

Last edited: