QLD Caught Shoplifting from Three Different Stores - Jail?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cloud43

26 April 2019
I made a really stupid mistake. I got caught shoplifting from three different stores within the one mall. The officer who caught me said because it was three different stores, it would be three separate charges.

From one of the stores was caught with over $150 worth of goods so I was charged for stealing as well. I have my court date on Monday and I am so scared I am going to jail. I know what I did was wrong and all I can say is I have no excuse. I am horrified I did it because I have never done anything like this before and I never will again.

Will I go to jail? This is my first offence.

Adam1user

5 January 2018
I made a really stupid mistake. I got caught shoplifting from three different stores within the one mall. The officer who caught me said because it was three different stores, it would be three separate charges. From one of the stores was caught with over $150 worth of goods so I was charged for stealing as well. I have my court date on Monday and I am so scared I am going to jail. I know what I did was wrong and all I can say is I have no excuse. I am horrified I did it because I have never done anything like this before and I never will again.

Will I go to jail? This is my first offence.

You screwed up big. As this first offense, I am not sure if you go to jail but for sure a criminal record. I am not a lawyer and I maybe wrong, but from what you wrote sounds bad. It will depend on the items you shoplifted, the value of them and the reason for the shoplifting. But for sure you need legal representation. Get a lawyer and see how it goes.

This is a very expensive mistake you did and you will pay for it for sure. what were the items? how much were they? Is this your first time caught or first time shoplifting?

Bad habit.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
You won't go to jail over $150.