NSW Caught guy trying to break in my campervan

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Serti

26 January 2018
Hi, I have a campervan and I was inside when someone tried to break in, he opened the door, I shouted and he run away, I run after him and got him when he entered the building he lives in.

I took a photo of him and concierge told me he lives there so I also have his address.

I went to police who told me the guy called before saying I was chasing him with a metal rod, which is a lie as i only had phone and keys, and told police to please check security cameras at his building to verify it. I provided police the contact details of the building manager.

Have the feeling police wont do anything since there was no property damage. This guy lives around my gym, job, I have to park around. Is there anything I can do? maybe some sort of legal warning telling him to keep away of my van? Suggestions?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can take him to civil court for trespass to chattels.

Serti

26 January 2018
You can take him to civil court for trespass to chattels.

Do I new a lawyer to do that? how I am going to raise any demand to him when I do not know his name, only the police officer now knows it.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Yes, you'd need a lawyer. In the first instance you'd tell the police you are going to start a court action and need the person's name. If they don't supply it, you get a subpoena from the court forcing the police to hand over the details.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Make sure the surveillance footage is secure, you don't want to let it get overwritten or something, and then suddenly the police decided to come after you and you have no defense!

Do you own the camper van? Are you renting the site?

Get a dog, and or alarm system.

Serti

26 January 2018
Make sure the surveillance footage is secure, you don't want to let it get overwritten or something, and then suddenly the police decided to come after you and you have no defense!

Do you own the camper van? Are you renting the site?

Get a dog, and or alarm system.

can't secure the recordings as people have been unwilling to provide recordings to anyone but police. I feel they actually dont want to provide it to anyone as it means spending lot of time looking for the recordings and all.

Clancy

6 April 2016
can't secure the recordings as people have been unwilling to provide recordings to anyone but police. I feel they actually dont want to provide it to anyone as it means spending lot of time looking for the recordings and all.

Sorry, what i meant by 'secure' is not to obtain the recordings, but just to ask that the recordings be kept safe.