NSW Carer Visa Help for Australian Citizen?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

julienguyen

25 April 2015
I have Australian citizenship. I have been 3 but 2 children with special needs as both have autism and one of them is my daughter with severe autism and young baby 2years old. I have no family in Australia and recently separated from their father. I want to ask that can I sponsor my cousin in Vietnam to come in Australia under carer visa to help me look after my children or not. Thanks for assisting.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Julie,

You may be eligible to apply for a 116 visa (carer visa). You will need to sponsor your cousin during the care period.

julienguyen

25 April 2015
Hi Sarah, thanks for helping. Does that mean she can stay in Australia at permanent resident or only for period time. Can I apply myself or it need to be lawyers as I need to watch my single income budget. How can I find out about the fees involved. Thanks

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi Julie,

You can apply yourself. As with all sponsored visa applications, it is a complicated process and requires tests and certificates (see the link I noted above for which tests and certificates you and your cousin will need). If you need help, you can speak with your local community legal centre and if they cannot directly help you, they may be able to refer you on to someone who can or has experience with carer visas. I cannot tell you how much it will cost because it will be an accumulation of different testing fees, certificate fees, and the actual application fee. For the application fee, there is a costs calculator at the bottom of the page.

Your cousin cannot stay as a permanent resident. She may be able to qualify for PR after a number of years and after meeting other requirements, but on the 116 visa, your cousin is only allowed to stay under the conditions of that visa (which includes continued sponsorship for you and caring for your son).

Is your son's father willing to financially support your son in any way?

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Also, here is an application checklist I found from the internet for 116 visa. It is old, from 2012, so don't completely rely upon it. But it can give you an idea of what documentation you need. Best to speak with the Department of Immigration and ask them to send you the current application package.

Melinda Jackson

14 February 2015
Hi Julien,

You may apply to sponsor a relative from overseas under the subclass 116 carer visa. It is a permanent visa and allows the relative to remain in Australia indefinitely.

There are three main parts to the carer visa:
1. Australian person has a medical condition which causes impairment - this involves a medical assessment by Bupa Visa Medical Services;
2. There is no other relative or community services who are able to provide the required care for the person - this is difficult and involves proving that other Australian family members or hospital/welfare/nursing services have been researched and are not available; and
3. There is a visa applicant who is willing and able to provide the required care - this invokes an assessment of their capacity, age, health, qualifications, family obligations etc.

The current processing times are very, very long - if you applied now, you could wait around 4-6 years for a visa. It is not an easy visa to get - the documents required are extensive - and I recommend seeking advice from an immigration lawyer.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Sarah J