QLD Car parking aside for visitor car parking

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Helen13

15 September 2017
I am going through a process of searching of the way how to "push" our committee solving ongoing problem with parking, especially when the residents park their cars upon areas set aside for visitor car parking. Residents usually do not talk to each other about problems there. The Body Corporate do not do anything, including putting notices on the notice board or against a specific resident. I know cars, that park there on a regular base, but I do not know their owner. I have written my complain to the BC, and added pictures of the cars. What more can I do? Does somebody has the same experience?

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
The first step is to see whether there are specific by-laws governing the way in which parking will be handled on common property. If there aren't relevant by-laws, you might need to look at getting some which would require a special resolution in general meeting (and the registration of a new community management statement).

If you already have the by-laws and the committee is simply not policing them properly, you have two broad options.

1. Wait until the next round of elections, oust the existing committee and get a new set of office holders who are prepared to take action.

2. Start down the road of going to the body corporate commissioner. First you need to make a written complaint to the committee and give them the opportunity to deal with it. If you're not satisfied with the outcome, the commissioner can then be approached for conciliation, and if that is unsuccessful, then adjudication.

Helen13

15 September 2017
Thank you Rob for your reply.
I have read our by-laws a few months ago. Parking is clear enough. After that I have written a letter to the BC and added a pictures of cars. I have send to the BC form 1, twice, because I know an owner and I am waiting what will happen by the BC. I am taking pictures of the cars parking aside of the car park on regular base and I am going to write my last letter to the BC. I am learning how to apply for conciliation and I have a clear idea of the process. Many thanks again.