NSW Car ownership NSW separation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tamz

24 May 2021
I have a Jeep registered and financed under my name but had my ex partner jointly pay a share of the repayments while we were together.
We have since separated and I let her use the Jeep as courtesy as she didn't have any modes of transport and pay a sum of the repayment, like renting the Jeep from me.

I want the Jeep back now and have offered her 2 months heads up and also an amount to help with the upkeep as a sign of goodwill.

As it's registered and financed under my name, can I legally take it back?

Atticus

6 February 2019
1) Did you have this vehicle prior to the relationship?
2) Is the vehicle used as security for the loan?
3) Married or de facto? ... If de facto, how long were you actually living together?
4) Do you have a key to the car & can you get access to it without committing break & enter or trespass?

Tamz

24 May 2021
1) Did you have this vehicle prior to the relationship?
2) Is the vehicle used as security for the loan?
3) Married or de facto? ... If de facto, how long were you actually living together?
4) Do you have a key to the car & can you get access to it without committing break & enter or trespass?
No
Yes it is
Married but separated and going through the divorce process now
Yes I have a original keys and can get it anytime

Atticus

6 February 2019
As long as you're not committing an offence such as trespass that may come back to bite you, then all good.... you are the registered operator, responsible for the loan & a joint owner under family law.

Just be aware that if you need to do a property settlement down the track, the car is still regarded as a joint asset along with all other joint assets that would need to be declared.