VIC Car loan - ex wife still has loan in my name

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
Status
Not open for further replies.

Car destroying me

6 July 2018
Looking for help . Car I gave wife in seperation settlement . Signed paper work to take me off car loan . He refinance was not approved . Found out loan is still in my name and I have nothing to do with car . She only has car because of me . Cannot get off loan unless it’s payed off . Any other option as I cannot talk to her as have ivo out on me ? Please assist

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Have the payments been kept up to date? How long has she had it and you have not?

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Yes she is in front in payments . She has had it for six months .
DO you want the car? If she continues to pay it off technically she is paying off YOUR car. How long is left to go? Do you think she will default? I am sure the car finance company (if it is a secured loan on the car) would be very interested as to if they are noted on her insurance. Usually the person with the loan has to be the main insurer anyway.

Car destroying me

6 July 2018
DO you want the car? If she continues to pay it off technically she is paying off YOUR car. How long is left to go? Do you think she will default? I am sure the car finance company (if it is a secured loan on the car) would be very interested as to if they are noted on her insurance. Usually the person with the loan has to be the main insurer anyway.
No don’t want the car but my affect me if I want to borrow in the future . The loan has four years left on it . I don’t know if she will default but not willing to risk it . Finance company informed me they can’t do anything as it’s a legal binding contract . She only has car loan still cause my name on the loan . Would not refinance for her by herself

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Then pay her back the 6 months of payments and go get YOUR car. Its your only choice other than letting things carry on hey?

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
But the loan is in both names . I just want to get off the loan . Can she be made to sell it
Aaaaah, that is a bit different to your OP. I doubt there is much you can do mate. If her name is actually on the loan and finance papers then you probably need real legal advice. But i doubt there is anything you can do except go collect it in the middle of the night with the spare key and sell it yourself.

Car destroying me

6 July 2018
Aaaaah, that is a bit different to your OP. I doubt there is much you can do mate. If her name is actually on the loan and finance papers then you probably need real legal advice. But i doubt there is anything you can do except go collect it in the middle of the night with the spare key and sell it yourself.
Don’t want to do anything illegal As want to see my kids again

miguel

30 May 2018
Having recently been through a property settlement myself, my and her lawyers ensured any joint things where resolved. If you where represented in the property settlement, it makes sense there will be something in the orders about this. What do the orders say?

Status
Not open for further replies.