VIC Car Dealer Provided Wrong Information - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Farhad

28 February 2017
Hi there,

I have recently purchased (paid a deposit of $500) a 2016 Hyundai i30 Premium 1.6l Diesel from Werribee Hyundai and I was told clearly (even the ad mentions) that it's a 2016 model. Now, after 10 days, when they have sent an invoice to my lender, we have found out that the build date is actually 10/2014.

I feel like I have been given false information about the car and they are denying the fact that it's not a 2014 model.

Please let me know what to do.

Thank you.

Regards,

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Farhad,

If you still have the ad and it is clearly not a 2016 then the dealer is breaching your Australian Consumer Law guarantees. Specifically that the vehicle is as advertised.

I would have a quiet word with them and discuss the situation, explain that you should be offered a 2016 model as advertised. You could always call Victorian Consumer Affairs and see what they would do with this false advertising. Or you try to use the call to Victorian Consumer Affairs as a negotiation tool with the dealer

The attached blog link is for faulty cars but it also details your Australian Consumer Law guarantees: Faulty Second Hand Car? Your Options as a Buyer - Legal Blog - LawAnswers.com.au

Farhad

28 February 2017
Thank you Lance for your quick reply.

Yes I do have the screenshots of the ad and it clearly says 2016 Hyundai i30 premium diesel (MY17). I did have a chat with the showroom manager, but he is quite adamant about this and not admitting that he has provided a misleading information in the ad. I have already sent an email to both ACCC and Consumer Affairs about this, and waiting for their replies.