NSW Car Accident at Double Roundabout - Truck Driver at Fault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
15 February 2018
Hi there

I had a car accident yesterday. I was waiting at a roundabout on the left land to turn left. A medium truck also came to stop in the right land next to my car. The truck blocked the traffic and I waited to let the truck entered the roundabout first. However when the truck moved, the driver drove the truck far onto the left land and crushed the right side of my car.

Just want to know is the truck driver at fault?

Thanks.

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
I'm assuming here that NSW road rules are the same as Queensland, and don't see any reason why they wouldn't be.

Travelling on a roundabout is, in many respects, the same as travelling on a straight road. What the truck driver has apparently done is effectively the same as changing lanes without giving way. On that basis, I'd say the truck driver is at fault.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Oh I know this one... The truck driver will say it's your fault because you're not supposed to overtake his turning vehicle. He will leave out the minor detail that he was the one passing you. And he knows that he will be the one who is believed.

15 February 2018
Hi there
I had a car accident yesterday. I was waiting at a roundabout on the left land to turn left. A medium truck also came to stop in the right land next to my car. The truck blocked the traffic and I waited to let the truck entered the roundabout first. However when the truck moved, the drivers drove the truck far onto the left land and crushed the right side of my car. Just want to know is the truck driver at fault. Thanks.
Thank you so much Rob.

GC.

26 October 2015
Oh i know this one... the truck driver will say its your fault because your not supposed to overtake his turning vehicle. He will leave out the minor detail that he was the one passing you. And he knows that he will be the one who is believed.

I know someone that this happened to. Truck was overtaking and scraped the side of the car, truck driver claimed that he wasn't overtaking, car driver had to pay the excess.

A dash cam is really the only reliable way to stop this.