QLD Car accident advice please on claims

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jane_simons

12 May 2017
I am have just seen the Medico legal report done for an injury that occurred 6 months ago. I live in Queensland Australia. I was assessed at 7% WPI for an upper extremity injury. He put in the report regarding future employment, as not being able to lift anything above waist height and if I was to do sedentary employment I must have frequent breaks to excercise neck! I am a retired veteran recently medically discharged due to another matter. I have been looking at joining the fire service but now unable to do this due to this injury! I am currently receiving incapacity payments for my medical discharge from the Navy. Can anyone tell me can I claim loss of future earnings as unable to work as a fire fighter in civie street? I was a fire fighter in the navy prior to my medical discharge! Also How is pain and suffering calculated is it done on the 7% WPI?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Jane,
I'm also ex-Navy. I have a good feeling that because your skills are as a firey that you could reasonably argue it is the line of employment you were going to pursue on leaving the Navy. That said it could all argued if the timelines don't gel. If the time between medical discharged and the accident aren't too far apart then and you may need to provide evidence you were pursuing employment as a fire fighter. I would suggest you contact a lawyer with the full details to see if they think you have a case.