WA Cancelling a new car contract

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
11 June 2019
Hi there

A friend of mine has recently bought a new car at a dealership. (just this weekend)

As you do, my friend negotiated what they believed was a good deal with the salesperson, based on a price X that was stated by the dealer as the driveaway price. This good deal will be called price Y (which is less than price X).

However, when my friend later told me about this purchase, I looked online and found that price Y is the actual stock standard driveaway price on the car.

The dealer has claimed that first that the salesman did not know about the current national EOFY deal, and then has said that they thought my friend wanted metallic paint (she didn't) and the colour that my friend asked about is NOT a metallic colour. the ACL/ACCC state on their website (google "accc acl misleading prices display prices") that the intention of the salesperson is irrelevant when they make a false claim on price.

Essentially the contract was based on some very misleading statements made by the salespeople.

Is it possible to cancel the contract and get my friend's deposit back?

Is it better to pursue through the dealer or the national corporate?