VIC Can You Appeal a Decision from the High Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

john coles

24 November 2015
Malvern
Hi there,

Can you appeal a desicion from a single Justice of the High Court? Is there anything in the Constitution that states you have the right of an appeal as example below:

I attended Federal court to submit my appeal papers. Unfortunately, I was sick and was 1 day late in submitting my appeal. I then had to apply for an Extension of time to appeal.

When I attended court for the extension of time to appeal, I had a doctors certificate and letter stating I was sick and couldn't lodge my appeal papers on time (1 day late) and was not granted the opportunity to appeal, and my application for extension of time was dismissed.

I then took it to the High Court where that was dismissed to appeal the original decision from the federal court.

Therese

11 October 2015
Hi John,

My understanding is that the decision of the High Court is final and binding. I don't believe that in such a situation The Constitution is of any assistance.

It is unfortunate that the High Court dismissed you appeal as unless new evidence can come into play or you can make a completely new claim - there is not much you can do.

My suggestion would be to contact a lawyer to seek their advice on the matter. See Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You

john coles

24 November 2015
Malvern
Hi John,

My understanding is that the decision of the High Court is final and binding. I don't believe that in such a situation The Constitution is of any assistance.

It is unfortunate that the High Court dismissed you appeal as unless new evidence can come into play or you can make a completely new claim - there is not much you can do.

My suggestion would be to contact a lawyer to seek their advice on the matter. See Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You
Hi there Therese,

Thanks for the reply. When I appealed to the High Court it took me like 6 goes under different Interpretations at it before they would accept to file it, then 1 of the Victorian Justices wouldn't file it unless I got a leave of Justice first hand and obtained, he took 2 days to tell me this once filed.

I then went on to apply for the Leave of Justice, by this time my former Company had cottoned on what I was doing, then had to wait over a Month for the decision, and of course dismissed.

I thought surely in today's Society a person has at least the right to an Appeal, especially a decision from a Single Judge from the Federal Court, especially when he removes the Original Judge we had been assigned for a Couple Months and he takes over 1 week before trial, because I wouldn't accept what my former Company was trying to pay me for my Silence.

Just had my house Repossessed last week by the Bank trying to fight this, don't think there will ever be any Justice for the Worker who is willing to stand up and tell the truth no more. What we all get taught from learning right from wrong is a thing of the past. Welcome to the New World, they say, lol.

Thanks anyway.

All the best.