VIC Can They Accuse Friend of Theft?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

paul collins

14 March 2017
Someone I know works for a company and the manager keeps the key for the money box with her. My friend was directed by there crime investigator to open the cash box and there was supposed to be $500 in the tin instead there was $37.

Now as the manager had the only key - can they try & point the blame for theft at anyone else? I'm tipping it's illegal to use a company's cash tin as your personal money?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Paul,

When your friend was directed to open the cash box did they need to retrieve the key from the manager? Your fiend needs to make sure that any statements given clearly state that the only time they had access to the key was at the moment they were ordered to open it.

Your title states friend accused of theft but you didn't mention in the detail if they have been charged with anything or if its an accusation by the manager. If your friend has been charged, they need a lawyer. They also need to start gathering evidence.

Make sure their lawyer obtains any security footage and statements from other staff regarding to access of the cash box key. This should be easy to disprove.

paul collins

14 March 2017
Thanks Lance

There was no key so the company's theft control officer they were asked to open it with a screwdriver as the key was with the manager who was away for the weekend. Also there is no security cameras in the back of the store. I'm aware they documented the opening of the tin via camera on a phone.