VIC Can realestate disclose landlord contact details?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rocky1

23 April 2017
Hello members, I have a quick question that I would like to ask.

Can realestate agents give you the landlords contact details or it's confidential?

Just say I wanted to rent a house but me and the realestate agent weren't getting along and the property is not being applied for by anyone, can the agent disclose landlords email or contact number, legally?

Thank you,
Rocky

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
With the landlord's consent, they can. But I don't see this happening. The landlord has appointed the agent as their agent because they don't want to deal with the processes of administering the rental situation. I think it would be unlikely that they will want to deal with you directly, do the work themselves that they would normally get the agent to do, and likely still have to pay commission to the agent for the introduction.

Reactions: Tim W

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
While frustrating to you, in this situation the agent is under no legal obligation to disclose details.

Agents do have to disclose in certain situation but disclosing to a prospective tenant is not one of those situations.

Luiza

26 July 2017
Victoria
www.lslawconveyancing.com.au
You can th
Hello members, I have a quick question that I would like to ask.

Can realestate agents give you the landlords contact details or it's confidential?

Just say I wanted to rent a house but me and the realestate agent weren't getting along and the property is not being applied for by anyone, can the agent disclose landlords email or contact number, legally?

Thank you,
Rocky
You can get the landlord's name and address by doing a title search. No email or phone number though.