VIC Can Moral Rights be Transferred or Willed to Beneficiary?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rob Z

25 November 2015
Hello. Just a quick one. Can moral rights be transferred? If so, what method? Contractually? Can it be willed to a beneficiary in a deceased estate?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Moral rights as in copyright?

S

Sophea

Unlike copyright which can be transferred and is a commercial right, moral rights concern the creator’s right to be properly attributed or credited, and the protection of their work from derogatory treatment (there is no right of resale in Australia). They last for the lifetime of the author and up to 70 years after their death, however due to their nature I don't know what point there would be to transferring them by way of will, even if they could be transferred.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
I agree.
I'm pretty sure that moral rights, not being in the nature of property,
are not capable of being assigned.
But I haven't found the authority for it, so don't quote me quite yet.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Found it (not a literal legal authority, but enough for present purposes)
Especially this bit:
As moral rights recognise the ongoing connection between authors and their work, they are individual. This ongoing connection requires that moral rights cannot be given away, sold or otherwise disposed of.

Tim D

22 January 2015
--Not a lawyer--

See Copyright Act 1968 (Cth)

Section 195AN and 195ANB
(3) Subject to this section, a moral right in respect of a [work/live performance/recorded performance] is not transmissible by assignment, by will, or by devolution by operation of law.

The remainder of the section specifies that moral rights can be exercised by the legal personal representative of a dead author/artist; or if alive a person lawfully authorised to administer their affairs (e.g. a guardian).