QLD Can I Terminate My Current and Future Lease?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

patrik6

31 August 2015
Our rental accommodation was damaged in a mini tornado 2 weeks ago. We declined assistance but now after builders and insurance lying and minimal repairs being affected, we now find that everything is at a standstill because of asbestos.

A hygienist had already declared it safe but an owner occupier raised the issue with insurance. My lease finishes on Aug. 2 but I have already signed a new lease to run on from that date to Feb. next year as no one can give a definitive answer for when the units can be reoccupied. Can I break the lease curent and future so I can get somewhere to live?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You can leave now if you fill in and hand the landlord/agent a form 13.

On the page I linked there is good information, including the possibility of negotiating reduced rent. Have a read and decide what you want to do.

patrik6

31 August 2015
You can leave now if you fill in and hand the landlord/agent a form 13.

On the page I linked there is good information, including the possibility of negotiating reduced rent. Have a read and decide what you want to do.
Thanks, that is very good info.

I'm new to renting as I've always owned my house. I really appreciate the reply.

Many thanks, 3 grounds to choose from.