Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Can I Terminate My Current and Future Lease?

Discussion in 'Property Law Forum' started by patrik6, 1 July 2016.

Tags:
  1. patrik6

patrik6 Active Member

Our rental accomodation was damaged in a mini tornado 2 weeks ago. We declined assistance but now after builders and insurance lying and minimal repairs being affected, we now find that everything is at a standstill because of asbestos.

A hygienist had already declared it safe but an owner occupier raised the issue with insurance. My lease finishes on Aug. 2 but I have already signed a new lease to run on from that date to Feb. next year as no one can give a definitive answer for when the units can be reoccupied. Can I break the lease curent and future so I can get somewhere to live?

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

You can leave now if you fill in and hand the landlord/agent a form 13.

On the page I linked there is good information, including the possibility of negotiating reduced rent. Have a read and decide what you want to do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. patrik6

patrik6 Active Member

Thanks, that is very good info.

I'm new to renting as I've always owned my house. I really appreciate the reply.

Many thanks, 3 grounds to choose from.