QLD Can I Take Housemate to Court for Invasion of Privacy?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
12 February 2017
2016 -

I had went to my partner's house and we engaged in consensual sex. The problems arose when we found out through another friend that one of my partner's housemates filmed us having sex (audio) and sent it to a variety of people without our knowledge or consent, telling them it was us, etc.

It's created an awkward environment for both my partner and I, and I'm furious that he did this, and then sent it.

Can I take him to court for invasion of privacy?

Lance

31 October 2015
Hi Caeleigh,

That's an interesting one. The point being they actually didn't film you, they made an audio recording somewhere in their home. Feel free to not answer but did they make the recording from an adjoined bedroom?

I'm pretty sure that privacy laws make it illegal to record a conversation you are not involved in, but I'm guessing there wasn't a lot of conversation. Keep in mind taking someone to court over a dispute isn't just about taking them to court. Be sure of what you are trying to achieve. This could make it very difficult for your partner. If you still want to pursue this you might want to speak with a lawyer.