VIC Can I Go to Ex's Place to Pick Child Up?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Khanh

2 January 2017
Hi,

My ex-husband and I, until recently, agreed to have my 10-year-old 7 days on, 7 days off. We have no court order. It was an agreement between us. It works fine so far.

I asked him to pick up my child from his place at 7am (my week) and he has refused, demanding it be 10 am. He'd be home, she's wakes early. I tried to talk to him over the phone but he won't pick up.

Can I go to his place and ask for her provided I don't trespass into his house? He threaten to call the police if I come.

sammy01

27 September 2015
Does it really matter? 3 hours? Can you just agree?

Don't go to the house early - he won't give you the kid and you will just make a scene... Maybe call Relationships Australia and organise mediation.

If this is a one-off change, then let it go. If he wants it to be permanant, I'd also suggest you let it go unless there are really good reasons to change it.

MartyK

4 June 2016
Why 7am? What is the usual changeover time? It's school holidays, let the child sleep in!

AllForHer

23 July 2014
You asked to pick the child up early and he refused, what makes you think your wants should trump his refusal such that you would go to his house and create a domestic disturbance to try and force him to give you what you want?

It's three hours. Gain some perspective and suck it up. His refusal is just as valid as your request, except he's the one with the power right now because he can refuse to return the child at all.